Goals, Specs, etc

Aug 19, 2008 at 10:02 AM
Can you post on the wiki or somehwere what you have in mind for this at this stage and where you want to go with this. If you can give that information we as the community can contribute by adding to the features...
Coordinator
Aug 19, 2008 at 3:55 PM
Thanks for your post. I am really in the early phases of putting this thing together and have just now started to put the feelers out to see who is interested.  If you are familiar with Fellowship One (http://fellowshiptech.com/), this is what I am after.  The difference, of course, being they are a for profit company and I am looking to build a community of developer/believers that can give to the body where the need is, especially as it relates to smaller churches.  To be completely honest, this is my first crack at an open source project and will need the help of those with experience to get this moving.  At this stage in the game, I would like to get the discussion going and begin to build some requirements and design documents so that we can hopefully get it right from the beginning.  If you are at all familiar with this type of application, please provide as much feedback as you can and I will begin to put together some documetation to post to the project.  The obvious basics need to be there, such as member and visitor management, finance management, staff management, reporting etc.  Again, very early stages of this so I apologize for lack of info, but I really want to get the discussion moving and see if we can't get a real solid idea of what is needed.  Thanks for your interest and patience.

Doug
Aug 19, 2008 at 8:31 PM
Evening Doug,

Thanks for the info. I haven't really ever thought abou this type of system for a church but it sounds like it could work.There must be a few similar systems that is open source that one can have a look at how they did it and pull ideas from there. Event management is a general type of function in a system customer (member) management also, so there should be a couple of samples out there to have a look at for ideas and stuff.

I'm not really the biggest of web developers but I'm sure I can help somewhere with something. I was thinking over the last couple of months to try and write a open source church presentation program because the stuff that is available is unbelievably expensive and smaller churches can't afford it, so we can maybe through that also into this mix.

I suppose the best way would be to first decide on exactly what should form part of this thing and then start to design data structures around that and try to suss out from there how what would work, and then eventually begin with the coding.

I am busy with a scheduling type of system at the moment so I'm sure I would be able to take a few concepts from that also and impliment it in here.

Let me know if you've got any more information or some form of document then I can have a look at it and we can start from there.

Regards,

Marais
Coordinator
Aug 19, 2008 at 9:25 PM
Thanks for the response again, Marais.  I do agree that we need to start with designing the data structures.  One of the key pieces for a system like this, and probably the most foundational of this system would be the people themselves and the households they make up.  Much of the remainder of the application should be built up from that.  Again, I apologize for lack of details as it's an idea that's been floating around in my head for a few days and I haven't done much to put it down on paper.  I will try to begin doing some of that over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again for your interest.

Doug